- 1 1/2 cups small pasta like orzo, stars, or alphabet letters
- 1/4 pound bacon slices, cut in half length-wise – you may use more if you want crunch in your mac
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and pepper as desired
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda – I used Yancey’s Fancy Smoked Gouda with Bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded Romano cheese
In a large high-sided skillet, cook bacon over medium heat to desired crunchiness, draining on a paper towel and chopping roughly. Allow the reserved fat (roughly 1/4 cup) to cool slightly, then whisk in flour and desired salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until incorporated. Gradually add the shredded cheese until melted and smooth.
Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and stir until the sauce evenly coats the pasta. If using additional bacon within the mac, add just before serving with a quick stir to incorporate. Divide into bowls and top with remaining bacon crumbles.